I spent Christmas away from family for the first time this year and it was hard. In addition to my mum, I sorta miss snow. Winter doesn’t come as far as San Diego (which I largely appreciate), but that bright and merry vibe has been lacking among palm trees. I feel like Peter, Kate, Buzz, Megan, Linnie and Jeff when they went to Florida. Except it’s not pouring rain and I haven’t forgotten Kevin on the third floor hide-a-bed of our condo or the corridors of O’Hare.
|No, I did not scoop out a small chunk from the lower left of this pie. It just happened.|
I have to warn you that this pie is not just paleo good. It’s legit good. And I LOVE PIE so I know what I’m talking about. It’s based on Everyday Maven’s version (after consulting the pumpkin puree can, of course), but I substituted and added a few things.
My advice? Don’t wait ’til next year to make it. Do it now.
Almond Pie Crust
Maple-Spice Pumpkin Pie
- 1 paleo pie crust, pre-baked and fully cooled
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat, not light)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Aluminum foil crust protector (instructions below)
- Optional: pecans or walnuts or whatever you want for garnish
- The pie crust would be great for any other kind of pie. THE POSSIBILITIES.
- You could also go the other direction and skip the crust and eat the filling like a pudding.