You learn something new every day. The day I made these stuffed mushrooms, I learned that you can make pretty fantastic hummus out of meat. I guess when you call it paté, it’s not really revelation-new… but still.
I’ve always loved stuffed mushrooms, ever since I used to serve/pilfer them when I was a catering server in college. When portabellas were on sale, I decided to try making a paleo version and they turned out great. I especially like that they have a lot of healthy greens, but you’d never really know.
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
Paleo & Whole30-approved
- Four big portabella mushroom caps (with the stems and gills removed)
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2-2.5 T Italian sausage seasoning (I used Well Fed‘s recipe)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup (or more) of red or yellow bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups (or more) of frozen kale (go nuts!)
- 1 egg, slightly scrambled
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Salt and pepper
- Optional (not Whole30-approved): Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400. Brown the sausage thoroughly, then transfer into a food processor. Use the sausage fat to sauté the onion and peppers for a couple of minutes, then the frozen kale, then the garlic in for the last minute. Add the veggie mix to food processor too. Throw in the coconut flour, egg, salt and pepper and then process until well-combined but not totally smooth. Spoon plenty of the mixture into each cap, top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. If the cheese isn’t quite browned enough, throw them under the broiler for a hot second. EAT.
Thoughts, ideas and other uses:
- I processed the leftover meat a little bit longer and ate it on plantain chips like a sausage dip.
- If you aren’t using cheese, hold back a little on the coconut flour, add a little coconut oil or consider subbing almond flour in the meat mixture. The stuff may get a little dry without the added fat because coconut flour is like a sponge.
- Stuff bell peppers or squash halves with the same mixture.
- Make minis for appetizers using baby or teen portabellas. CUTE.
Hope you enjoy!