Paleo Sausage Kale & Mushroom Soup
Holy mackerel, this is good soup. VERY good.
Kale can be fickle. I love kale when it's done right, and this is done riiiight. Kale is just meant for soups and stews since it holds up so much better than other greens. In this super easy soup, the spicy sausage cuts the kale's bitterness and the mushrooms add even more umami.
It's really the perfect cozy recipe for a cold day.
Paleo Sausage, Kale & Mushroom Soup
gluten-free, whole-30-approved, paleo recipe
- 1 lb ground Italian pork sausage (I made my own with ground pork and two tablespoons of Well Fed's Italian sausage spice blend—directions for this spice blend below)
- olive oil (just a bit for cooking)
- as many baby bella/crimini mushrooms as you want, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- bag of frozen kale
- 4 cups of chicken stock (add more if you like a broth-ier soup)
- Brown the sausage well in a big pot on medium high heat (grab one with a cover so your don't have to use a separate soup pot).
- When you're satisfied with the brownness, add the mushrooms and garlic and keep sautéing. Add a little olive oil if needed.
- Then add the stock and frozen kale and bring to a thorough simmer. Then it's ready to eat.
Well Fed Italian Sausage Spice Blend
(Seriously though, buy the Well Fed book because it's awesome. I know I say that all the time but it is.)
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1.5 tsp fennel seed
Use about 2 tablespoons per pound of ground pork.
Now go get your soup on.