Greek Lamb Meatballs
If you don't love lamb meatballs, I just don't know if I trust you anymore. It's like people who don't like ice cream. I don't care how lactose-intolerant you are, ice cream is fucking good. And so are these Greek lamb meatballs. My parents used to make a similar dish occasionally when I was growing up, and I remember thinking they were the best thing I'd ever eaten as an 11-year-old. One time during a party — after I'd stolen away to our basement alone with, like, twenty meatballs on my plate — I almost choked on one, because they were so good I forgot how to chew.
Anyhow, I survived. remember to chew the meatballs.
This lamb recipe (with the Cucumber Tomato Salad, especially) is one of my go-to recipes for the summer, because it's just so fresh and easy.
One more note before the recipe fun! The stuff that sort of looks like a heap of coconut oil in the first picture is toum, an outrageously good Lebanese garlic paste that I bought at a restaurant. It's a little labor intensive to make at home (though I have a recipe for it here!), so I usually buy it from restaurants. In Minneapolis, you can get it from Grlk or Filfilah.
P.S. I actually made these particular meatballs in the photos while we were on this trip to Joshua Tree (I highly recommend making meatballs while on vacation).
GREEK LAMB MEATBALLS
paleo, whole30-approved, gluten-free recipe
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- a handful of fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- a handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda mixed with 2 T warm water mixed
- optional: 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Mix all the ingredients in a big bowl. Form one-inch meatballs and set them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- You can fry these on the stovetop too. Here are some pointers, if you're skipping the oven: Don't overcrowd the pan. If you need to, keep the done meatballs warm in the oven while the others cook. The meatballs might spit at you, so don't wear your nicest outfit.
- If you leave out the feta, these would be paleo and Whole30-friendly, but you might want to add a pinch more salt since the feta is so salty.
The ultimate in potato + pickle combos.
A slight twist on one of my favorite dinner recipes.
Meet your new favorite salad.
Hashweh is a very simple and rustic sort of dish, but feels fancy AF because pine nuts are basically solid gold.
Chimichurri is always a good decision.
I've never met a human who didn't like this salad... and I've served it to a lot of my humans.
A meditation app might seem like an oxymoron, but this one is great.
If you have the ability to make real-deal shawarma at your house, invite me over ASAP.
The most Midwestern thing I've ever put on this blog.
If you make this for a party, it will be gone in 30 seconds. If you make it for yourself, it'll take a little longer... but I believe in you.