Paleo Buffalo Chicken
Buffalo chicken! How wonderful you are, but also so full of butter... here's the paleo hack I came up with when free-range chicken drumsticks were on sale at The Wedge Co-op.
Turned out pretty great—I loved the extra hint of cinnamon and you still get a richness of the sauce from coconut oil or ghee.
Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks
Paleo & Whole30 approved
- 3.5 lbs chicken drumsticks, patted very dry (skin on or off)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- a touch of cinnamon, to taste
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
- 2 parts Frank's Red Hot
- 1 part coconut oil or ghee, melted
- a bit of garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Pat drummies dry with a paper towel. Toss them in oil, then place on a lined baking sheet. Pull the skin tight on each piece if you are using skin-on chicken. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, paprika, chili powder and onion powder. Sprinkle just a touch of cinnamon (it's the secret ingredient!). No need to measure the spices, just eyeball it.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Mix up some sauce in a small bowl.
- Flip the chicken over and bake for another 25 minutes. It will likely be done then, but I also threw these under the broiler for a hot minute at the end to crisp the skin up even more. Maybe not even a minute—it's a quick process and you don't want to burn your precious drumsticks.
- Toss in the sauce. Then EAT.