Paleo Mexican Chocolate Mousse (with Avocado!)
When I first put together this recipe, I was like, "WTF." I didn't just think it. I said it out loud, which is why it's in full-fledged double quotes instead of baby thought quotes.
?!,' I thought, in single thought quotes, sifting through various paleo hacks.
I knew I had to try making my own paleo chocolate mousse, just to see if this would be as terrible as I thought it was going to be. And in the spirit of experimentation, I decided to turn the heat up and make a Mexican chocolate version.
Little did I know it would actually turn out kind of, well... great.
Paleo Mexican Chocolate Mousse
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 T full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ripe banana and/or 3 T of honey or maple syrup (just sweeten to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: I topped this with some dark chocolate chunks, because yum.
Mix all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until whipped nicely. Chill until it's time to EAT.
Thoughts, ideas and other uses:
- The flavor is not going to be like regular chocolate mousse, so get that nonsense out of your head. I'd say it's an acquired taste—at first I wasn't so sure, but by the bottom of the bowl I was pretty into it.
- I wouldn't expect it to keep long, though you'll never know when the avocados turn brown. :)
- Use this general recipe but change the spices to create different flavor combinations.
- Garnish with hazelnuts too. Yum.
- Check out these other weird things I found out you can do with avocado.
- Obsessed with these Iittala dessert bowls we got as a wedding gift. So obsessed that I eat scrambled eggs from them sometimes.
P.S. I don't often post desserts, but when I do you should make