Paleo Chorizo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Gratuitous fried egg photo!
Don't try to fight the power of the creamy yolk and the spicy chorizo. Fried eggs are like the siren song of food... except they don't kill you, so that's sort of a terrible simile. Never mind. This was one of those nights where it was all about cooking the pantry, and it turned into a breakfast-for-dinner situation with this paleo hash. It would be as good for brunch as it was for dinner. We had cauliflower, chorizo, tomatoes, green onions, peppers and eggs, so this is the thing that happened. If you had more foresight than I did, you could make this 30% more tasty by spooning it into a bell pepper and baking it with an egg on top.
Also, chorizo can be bad when it comes to weird non-paleo ingredients, so check the labels or just make your own blend with ground pork, chicken or turkey.
Chorizo Cauliflower Fried Rice (& Breakfast Hash)
whole30-approved + paleo breakfast recipe | serves 4+
- 1 lb of paleo-friendly chorizo
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- eggs for frying
- oil or ghee for frying the egg
- green onions and/or cilantro, for garnish
- optional: additional spices (cumin, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, salt, pepper, etc.) depending on how mild or spicy your chorizo is
- Brown the chorizo well in a big skillet.
- Add the onion, green pepper, red pepper and tomatoes. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic for about 1 minute, then mix in the cauliflower. Stir fry/simmer for about 7-10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- While the fried rice is cooking, make that perfect fried egg and set it on the top of your pile. Garnish with green onions and EAT.
- Depending on how spicy or salty your chorizo is, you might want to sprinkle on some more seasoning like cumin, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, salt, pepper, etc. Totally up to your tastebuds, just try it toward the end and make the call.
- Spoon it into half a red or green bell pepper for stuffed peppers (or nachos)
- If you're not into sunny-side eggs, it's also great if you scramble the egg and stir right into the rice at the end of the frying process like a typical fried rice. Mmm, mmm.
- You could also roast the cauliflower rice before making this hash. I will sometimes reserve a portion from dinner to make a fried rice in the morning. If you do it this way, it'll basically be ready about three minutes after you add the cauliflower rice to the skillet.
- Other fried rices, if you're interested: Paella, Kimchi-Bacon Fried Rice
- Other breakfasty egg things: Poblano-Chorizo Breakfast Hash, Paleo Hatch Green Chicken Chilaquiles