Paleo Chorizo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Gratuitous fried egg photo!
Don't try to fight the power of the creamy yolk and the spicy chorizo. Fried eggs are like the siren song of food... except they don't kill you, so that's sort of a terrible simile. Never mind.
This came from one of those nights where it was all about cooking the pantry, and it turned into a breakfast-for-dinner situation with this paleo hash. It would be as good for brunch as it was for dinner. We had cauliflower, chorizo, green onions, peppers and eggs, so this is the thing that happened.
If you had more foresight than I did, you could make this 30% more tasty by adding a chopped green pepper and/or some chopped tomatoes.
Chorizo Cauliflower Fried Rice (& Breakfast Hash)
whole30-approved + paleo breakfast recipe | serves 4+
- 1 lb of paleo-friendly chorizo
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- green onions and/or cilantro, for garnish
- eggs for frying
- Brown the chorizo well in a huge skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic for about 1 minute until fragrant, then mix in the riced cauliflower and red pepper and cumin. Stir fry for about 7-10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the fried rice is cooking, make that perfect fried egg and set it on the top of your pile.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Depending on how spicy or salty your chorizo is, you might want to sprinkle on some more seasoning like cumin, cinnamon, paprika, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, etc. Totally up to your tastebuds, just try it toward the end and make the call.
- If you're not into sunny-side eggs, it's also great if you scramble the egg and stir right into the rice at the end of the frying process like a typical fried rice. Mmm, mmm.
- I usually roast cauliflower rice rather than frying it, but this is one case where it's easiest to make it all on the stove.
- Other fried rices, if you're interested: Paella and Kimchi-Bacon Fried Rice
- Other breakfasty egg things: Poblano-Chorizo Breakfast Hash, Paleo Hatch Green Chicken Chilaquiles
This post was originally published in March 2013, but was updated in March 2017 with shiny new photos.