The Best-Best-Best Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Some of my favorite recipes are the products of happy accidents. This homemade breakfast sausage is one of them. Here's how it went down: I was planning on making potsticker paleo meatballs, but when I went to the fridge, I realized I'd used up all the cilantro earlier in the week. Whoops. I also realized I bought double the amount of thyme I needed for another recipe. Whoops again.
Anyhoo, that's where I started — 2 lbs of ground pork and a ton of fresh thyme.
What resulted is one of the best recipes on this whole blog. For real.
Best-Best-Best Homemade Breakfast Sausage
paleo, gluten-Free & whole30-approved | serves 6-8
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or chives
- 2 teaspoons of ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Optional: I didn't add this, but a touch of maple syrup might be nice too.
- Stir all the non-meat ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Then mix everything with the ground pork until thoroughly and evenly seasoned.
- Fry up in a large skillet (you shouldn't need much, if any, additional fat). Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook the meat in two batches. You want the sausage to brown nicely, and a crowded pan hinders that.
- This is a double-batch because you will want leftovers. I have lots of ideas for those leftovers below. :)
- It's a fantastic paleo breakfast sausage, but you could use it in plenty of non-breakfasty recipes too. I love sausage, so this blog is filled with them (Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Thanksgiving-In-Your-Mouth, Kale-Sausage Soup, etc.). I even used some of these leftovers in a Thai red curry and it was amazing.
- Fry it up with apples and onions and serve on top of a Dijon and lemon-dressed salad.
- Make a hash with sausage, sweet potatoes and veggies, topped with a fried egg.
- Try the Bomb Paleo Biscuits and Gravy, using this very sausage!
- Try making this into meatballs by adding a little bit of coconut flour and an egg and serve with mashed cauliflower or potatoes.
Let me know what you think!