The Best-Best-Best Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe
Some of my favorite recipes are the products of happy accidents. This homemade breakfast sausage is one of them. Here's how it went down: I was planning on making potsticker paleo meatballs, but when I went to the fridge, I realized I'd used up all the cilantro earlier in the week. Whoops. I also realized I bought double the amount of thyme I needed for another recipe. Whoops again.
Anyhoo, that's where I started — 2 lbs of ground pork and a ton of fresh thyme.
What resulted is one of the best recipes on this whole blog. For real. It's quite good.
Best-Best-Best Homemade Breakfast Sausage
paleo, gluten-Free & whole30-approved | serves 3-4
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 T of fresh thyme leaves
- 1 T chopped green onions or chives
- 1 tsp of ground sage
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Stir all the non-meat ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Then mix everything with the ground pork until thoroughly and evenly seasoned.
- Fry up in a large skillet (you shouldn't need much, if any, additional fat). You want the sausage to brown nicely, and a crowded pan hinders that.
- Make a double-batch because you will want leftovers. I have lots of ideas for those leftovers below. :)
- It's a fantastic paleo breakfast sausage, but you could use it in plenty of non-breakfasty recipes too. I love sausage, so this blog is filled with them (Sausage Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Thanksgiving-In-Your-Mouth, Kale-Sausage Soup, etc.). I even used some of these leftovers in a Thai red curry and it was amazing.
- Fry it up with apples and onions and serve on top of a Dijon and lemon-dressed salad.
- Make a hash with sausage, sweet potatoes and veggies, topped with a fried egg.
- Try the Bomb Paleo Biscuits and Gravy, using this very sausage!
- Try making this into meatballs and serve with mashed cauliflower or potatoes.
Let me know what you think!