Paleo Bomb Biscuits & Gravy Recipe
True story: I accidentally created the best sausage recipe in the land last week. I made a huge batch of the stuff, so I thought I'd use some of the meat to make an umami-rich biscuits and sausage-mushroom gravy brunch. It's one of my fiance's favorite breakfasts and it was his birthday, so I marked the occasion with this food. The gravy is mighty good, folks.
|Yes, yes and yes.|
Bomb Biscuits & Gravy Paleo & Gluten-Free (could be made Whole30 compliant without the biscuits)
- Paleo biscuits **note below!
- 1 lb of The Best-Best-Best Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pint of crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, roughly chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon or more of fresh chives or green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 4-6 teaspoons arrowroot powder (it's a thickener)
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt, crushed red pepper and fresh cracked pepper to taste (I like my gravy flush with black pepper!)
Brown sausage in a large pan (the fried bits are the best). Then add the mushrooms until cooked. Add thyme, chive and sage and fry for a few minutes more. Then mix in 1 tsp at a time of arrowroot powder until the mixture is a little gummy (like you'd do when making a roux with flour and butter). Then slowly stir in a can of coconut milk. Let simmer/thicken and add more arrowroot powder if you need it. Add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste (and more spices, if needed).
Thoughts, ideas and other uses:
- The fresh herbs are used in the sausage seasoning too, so just set a little aside to use in the gravy if you're planning on making this. You could also substitute dried herbs and onion powder if you need to.
- I was worried the gravy would be too coconut-y, but all the savory parts of the sausage and herbs cut that flavor.
**I tried two biscuits recipes. The first was from Paleo Comfort Foods, which I used the first day (the recipe calls for coconut flour and uses the whole egg). The following day, I had leftover gravy so I decided to try a different biscuit from Simple Healthy Living (with baking soda instead of powder because I had none). If I had to choose, I liked those a little bit better. They are made with egg whites only, like traditional biscuits, and a blend of coconut and almond flours. Both recipes were very quick and easy!
Have you found a biscuit recipe you love?