Paleo Chai Pumpkin Muffins
My South Indian nana makes masala chai every morning. It's a daily ritual and it's all her own. I'm not even sure if it would be considered "chai" by our Starbucks-y chai standards, but I remember being so intrigued by the stuff when I was growing up. By the way, if anybody out there is saying, "chai tea"... I will throw up on you. "Chai" means "tea." It's just CHAI.
OK, vomiting threat over. I adore the flavor of masala chai. That mix of cardamom and cinnamon and mmmmm. I'm just so into it. And I'm into these muffins too. I don't make sweets/baked goods too often, but when I do... I like 'em spicy.
Chai Pumpkin Muffins Paleo (not Whole30-approved)—recipe inspired by PaleOMG
- 2 cups pecan butter (homemade with a few pinches of sea salt—just let the food processor do the work! You can use any nut.)
- 1.5 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 bananas, mashed up
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup honey (optional)
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1.75 tsp cinnamon
- 1.75 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder (optional—I didn't have any so went without and it wasn't a disaster)
- Sea salt, two pinches
Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together, then combine the wet and dry in a big mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and spoon into a greased muffin pan. Bake for about 20 minutes (or until you can stick a knife in the middle and it comes out clean). Let rest for a minute and then EAT.
Thoughts, ideas and other uses:
- Add walnuts or raisins, if you like that sort of thing.
- Serve with homemade apple butter or a drizzle of coconut oil
- Make a paleo icing. I'd have done this if I hadn't been too eager to eat them up.
- Make it into bread pudding or a cake. You can really use this recipe as a master for any bread/cake-like things and just change the spices.
- You might enjoy these paleo banana muffins too, though be warned that the almond flour makes those a little grittier in texture.
Hope you like 'em!