Paleo Kale-Sausage Minestrone Soup
According to my blog traffic reports, y'all really like my sausage, kale and mushroom soup. That makes me so happy, and I consider this recipe an accidental encore—the accident being I really wanted to clean out the fridge and pantry before moving day last month. Though it's made without the typical beans or pasta, it tastes a lot like minestrone... and minestrone it shall be. Minestrone technically has no recipe and is historically a mash-up of broth, tomatoes and seasonal vegetables, so it's quite fitting.
It's such a simple soup that does not require much prep work, and leftovers are essential so this will make a huge batch.
Before I drop the recipe on you, let's talk about the kale. I didn't expect this, but it was absolutely my favorite component of this soup. Mmmm, don't leave it out.
Kale-Sausage Minestrone Soup
Paleo + Whole30-approved
- 8-10 links of paleo-friendly chicken sausage, cut into small pieces (I get a sun-dried tomato and spinach version at Costco, you are obviously welcome to make or use whatever sausage you like though.)
- 2 big shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 64 ounces of chicken stock (2 big boxes)
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- Lots of fresh chopped kale (I used a whole bag of "Organic Tuscan Kale" from Trader Joe's)
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- Sea salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- Finely chopped fresh basil to taste
In a big stock pot, sauté the onions and garlic and sausage for 5-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, and Italian seasoning. Simmer until the kale is tender. Add sea salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste and then slowly add fresh basil, checking periodically to make sure it's to your liking. Then EAT. You'll hopefully have enough for an entire week of lunches and dinners.
Thoughts, ideas and other uses:
- Bring on the veggies. Add whatever veggies you want to this. It'll be good.
- I love how colorful this stuff is. This sounds cheesy, but it definitely brightened an otherwise dreary spring day.
- If you like kale, you might also like my no-frills kale salad or Thanksgiving-in-your-mouth.